Languages

 

Did You know?

MathsEyes - A walk through Tallaght

Looking at Tallaght through Mathematical Eyes is a community initiative to develop the math's eyes of the community in Tallaght so that everyone can appreciate the many ways we use maths each day. Click on the link below to see the walk.

 

 

Click on an image below to learn an interesting fact.

That there was an airport on the Belgard Road in Tallaght? It was an army airport used by the RAF (Royal Air Force) during World War 1. It closed down in the 1920s. The paper made at Swift Brook Mill in Saggart was of such good quality that the government printed bank notes and stamps on it.
There were trams in South Dublin County long before the Luas came – between 1888 and 1932 a tram ran between Terenure and Blessington, passing through Templeogue, Tallaght, Jobstown, Saggart and Brittas. As well as people it carried goods such as stones and sand from the quarries, milk and other produce from farms, and even cattle and sheep! There was also a chocolate factory called Urney Chocolates on the Belgard Road which was set up in the airport buildings when the army moved out in the 1920s. It was a household name in Ireland, just like Cadburys is now. Urney employed 1000 people and was one of the biggest chocolate factories in Europe.
The first east to west flight across the Atlantic took off from Baldonnel Aerodrome in April 1928? One of the pilots was Irishman Captain James Fitzmaurice. This was a huge achievement at the time and made news headlines all over the world. There was even a celebratory parade for the pilots in New York!  
  • The famous poet W.B. Yeats, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923, lived at Riversdale House in Rathfarnham.
  • The baseball fields in Corkagh Park in Clondalkin are the only purpose built baseball fields in Ireland. They opened in July 1998 and include a regulation sized adult field and an international standard Little League field.