Business and Jobs Skills Development
***This page is currently being updated***
South Dublin Libraries support education and lifelong learning. Here are some particular ways we support Business, Creativity, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Business Skills Development and Job Skills Development
Our friendly staff are here to help you.
In this section
Books for Business Owners and Job-seekers
- We have books on a wide range of business-related topics including: starting a business, financial management, information technology, marketing, social media, bookkeeping, business planning, intellectual property, website creation, taxation, employment law and selling.
- For job seekers and people looking for a career change we have books on a wide range of relevant topics including job searching, cover letters, CVs, aptitude tests, interview skills and careers.
- You can check what is available to borrow on our online catalogue. You can place a hold on any item from any public library in Dublin.
Newspapers and Magazines
- Daily newspapers: All branches get the print version of the Irish Times and Irish Independent each day they are open. The County Library, Tallaght receives a wider range of Irish and British daily newspapers
- Periodicals: The selection various from branch to branch but includes Business and Finance, the Economist and Management Today
- You can also access subscription online newspaper archives from our library computers free of charge as part of your library membership. The Irish Times and Irish Newspaper Archive (which includes the Irish Independent and many more titles) are available.
Online Resources Available from Home
- These are subscription resources for which you would normally have to pay. They are free of charge as part of your library membership.
- Vision Net gives you instant access to documents and reports on all Irish and UK companies, businesses and directors. You can obtain detailed credit reports to help you understand the level of risk associated with a particular company. You can also do an industry search to look for businesses in a particular sector.
- Online language learning with Mango. Mango offers over 70 languages for you to learn. The English language course is availabe through Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Polish, Russian and several other languages.
More Online Resources Available from Home
- Online classes with Universal Class. Universal Class offers courses in a wide range of areas. Courses which may be of interest to business owners and employment seekers include: accounting, computer training, management, office skills and personal development.
- ebooks with Borrow Box. Our digital book service has a special category for business, with over 200 titles on business, entrepreneurship and employment matters.
- Online magazines from Zinio. These include The Economist, Entrepreneur, Fast Company, Forbes, Management Today and various computer magazines. We also have the following mini-books available from Zinio: Improve Your Interview Technique, Improve Your CV and Improve Your Presentation Technique. These magazines can be downloaded permanently if you wish.
Computers, Printing, Photocopying and Scanning
- Library members can avail of Windows based computers with high quality colour laser printers at all branches. Colour photocopying is also available. Printing and photocopying is available at a modest charge.
- All branches have a scanner available
- Members can also access WiFi, with WiFi printing available from laptops (Windows and Mac)
- 2 Macs are available in Ballyroan Library
Library Classes of Relevance to Job-seekers
We have a regular programme of events which may be of interest to you including:
- Computer classes for beginners
- Computer classes targeted at jobseekers
- Language classes
- For current information on classes and other events check the library events brochure at your local branch. Subscribe to our Newsletters on the Home Page of this website to have it and other information delivered to your in-box
Presentations, Workshops and Networking
- Past presentations and workshops have included:
- Online jobseeking
- Key skills for jobseekers
- Social media on your website
- Online marketing
- Starting your own business
- Some of our branches have meeting rooms which can be booked for once-off use. Please check with your local branch to find out if they offer this service.
Annual Craft Fairs
- Christmas craft fairs are held at Lucan Library, Ballyroan Library and the County Library, Tallaght each year. If you are interested in exhibiting please contact the library for information on obtaining a free stand.
- We have a programme of activities every March for Enterprise Week. Please check with the South Dublin Enterprise Office for details
Formal and Informal Meeting Spaces
- Our libraries offer work experience placements to transition year students. Some branches also offer places to adults. Please contact your local library for more information.
- All our libraries have noticeboards where you can advertise small local businesses, charitable ventures and community events
- The Libraries Ireland website www.librariesireland.ie has a huge range of links to information on business support and employment support.
- The South Dublin Local Enterprise Office www.localenterprise.ie/SouthDublin should be the first port of call for people in the South Dublin area who wish to start or grow a small business.